Firstly, I should announce that WE HAVE HEAT!!! After more than 48 hours of mind-numbing cold, it is such a nice feeling to have toasty-warm hands and feet again.
1. Using medium-grit sandpaper (I used 220 grit), lightly sand the outside covers of the notebook. This will take some of the gloss off and allow the papers to stick to the covers properly. Wipe off the sand residue with a damp cloth and let dry completely.
2. Find some decorative papers that you like, and cut them slightly larger than the covers of the notebook.
3. Glue the papers in place (I normally use PVA glue or Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue, as I find glue stick adhesives tend to come undone after a while).
4. Once your glue is completely dry (about 15 minutes), lightly sand the edges of the covers using your 220-grit sandpaper. This will smoothe out the cover edges and give the notebook a weathered look. Wipe off sand residue with an ever-so-slightly damp cloth.
5. Wrap ribbon around the front cover and tie into a bow. Add a few spots of glue to keep the ribbon in place.
6. Add pockets or envelopes to the inside covers if you so desire.
7. Voila – a super duper notebook you won’t be embarrassed to carry around!